Thursday night is BTC track night...which is basically the Balmoral Triathlon Club running session.
Again, for those who dont know, BTC is one of many triathlon clubs based in Sydney and during the triathlon season they "run" running, swimming and brick sessions on various nights/mornings of the week. I have been a member of BTC for the past 4 years and regularly attend the Thursday night track sessions. Indeed, most of the friends I have made through running, I have met through BTC in some form. Although a little cliquey (sp) at times, on the whole they are a friendly bunch.
The good thing about track is that it caters for runners/triathletes of all levels, from Australian olympic representatives to those who have never done a triathlon before! It all takes place in the centre of Mosman, is pro coached, and usually involves some warming up, a few stride throughs, followed by a main set, some warm down/stretching and then some core work to finish off...and all for a very reasonable $5! Bargain.
As it is the start of the triathlon season (the season run froms September to May - dont ask me what happens to triathletes during the off season), the first few weeks of track have been quite light on for me, as I have been doing a bit of running over the past few months what with the various Striders 10km races, the Sydney half marathon, Pain in the Domain and a few other bits and pieces.
Anyway, this week was the same set as over the previous few weeks which essentially involved continuously running around the oval for 3 mins @ 70%, 3 mins recovery, 2 mins @80%, 2 mins recovery, 1 mins @90%, 1 min recovery, then 1 min @ threshold/vomit pace, followed by extreme pain. Then repeat again.
This week, as I wasnt racing at the weekend, I decided to push the pace a bit harder and see how I went. Rep 1 went ok and so I pushed a little harder on rep 2 and again seem to hold my own against some of the quicker runners in the group and indeed gained on a few who are usually way ahead of me, so all in all a pleasing session given the amount of exercise I had done this week. The good thing about track is that it is usually the same people that turn up week after week and so it is easy to see how you are travelling as the season progresses.
I didnt stay for core as Catherine hasn't been well.
No Tim (again) though..I think he is away..I wonder if he will make it back for the time trial in 2 weeks time...revenge has been a long long time coming!
No comments:
Post a Comment