So this is my first music post!
So far, it has all been about the exercise and sport side of my life. So I thought it was time to introduce the tuba part of the blog.
I have actually been playing the tuba for about 28 years now, having started at the age of 7 when a teacher at my primary school said I had a large mouth and would therefore suit the tuba.
I will get into more of my tuba background in future posts, but of relevance to where I am now, is that I currently play for Warringah Concert Brass (WCB), a brass band based in the northern suburbs of Sydny. I joined WCB around the same time I joined BTC and immediately loved it. When I moved to Sydney I was originally playing for a more community focussed brass band in Manly, and it was only after a chance opportunity to watch WCB that I decided to give it a go.
The band are an active part of the brass band movement in Australia and compete at A-Grade. Again, by way of background, brass bands in Australia are split into 4 seperate grades, A-D with A being the top and D the lower end.
Although not quite the same standard as the championship bands back in England, such as the Black Dykes and Grimethorpes of this world, nevertheless, the standard of WCB is extremely high with a number of pro musicians within its ranks. The band are also extremely friendly and welcoming, something that I very much appreciated when i first joined. Anyway, I am sure I will explain more of this at a later date.
So, today involved a chamber group part of the main band playing at the DYRSL as part of their Oktoberfest celebrations. There were only 8 or 9 of us playing, but it was surprisingly good fun in the end! Resplendant in authentic costume, courtesy of Fancy That in Crows Nest the day before, we entertained the Sunday afternoon DY crowd for three seperate half hour slots. Some good charts mixed in, although i'm not too sure what relevance Match of the Day, Hogans Heros, or the Birdie Song have in Oktoberfest circles. By the third set, the more drunken elements of the audience were starting to appreciate us though, and the birdie song was the definite favourtie for the masses.
This was the first time I have done this gig as in previous years the band has been competing on the Gold Coast on this weekend. Surprisingly, I had a good time though and who knows, I may even be back next year.


No comments:
Post a Comment