Saturday, December 1, 2012

Humid, brutal brick

With the temperatures forecast to hit 36, Tim and I headed out at 5.30am for our last long brick before Canberra.

Like last weekend the plan was to hit 70/15, although we decided that instead of Akuna Bay we would just head out towards West Head and turn at 35km.

It was 24 degrees before we set off and with the humidity levels up around 90% it was tough going as we headed up the beaches and turned off to Church Point. The legs felt heavy particularly on the hills and the lack of air on the way to West Head meant that we were never really able to push the pace. That, and the fact we were carrying more liquid than normal which made the TT bikes feel heavy made the whole thing hard work from start to finish.

Eventually we made it back to Queenscliff with 71km on the clock in 2.41, about 7 minutes slower than last week (but 2km longer), averaging 26.4km/hr.

From there we headed out on the run, both of us learning from last week and carrying water this time. Again, wanting to avoid looping back and forth along the beachfront, we headed towards South Steyne, turning back to the ferry terminal, along the Manly to Spit path and up through Balgowlah to Sydney Road. From there we headed through Burnt Creek and along to Warringah Mall. By this time, the humidity and tired legs were beginning to catch up with me and I was starting to fade. That said, we were maintaining sub 5 min km's. I popped a Torq at about 7km which gave me a much needed lift.

After looping behind the Mall we headed back towards Manly, finally, eventually, and thankfully finishing up at QLSC for 15.24 in 1.15, averaging 4.58's.

Overall a tough old day in the heat and humidity with the run being particularly brutal. I really suffered from about 8km in, probably due to a week of back to back sessions - I haven't had a break since last Saturday.

Having said that, it was good to get through the session intact - time for some rest now though. Nothing planned until Monday now and then an easier week I think.

All up this week I have swum 5.7km and ridden 180km. Probably the biggest week of training ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment