Friday, November 30, 2012

5km time trial

Turned up to the 5km time trial at Track with very heavy legs after a tough week. For some reason I hadn't done a TT for a few years.

After a brief warm up, we were straight into it - 15 laps of the oval. I decided to tuck in behind Roly for the first few laps, all done at what felt like a very leisurely pace.

The first 3 laps went by in 4.09, although the Garmin showed 1.08 km which suggested that the laps were a little longer than 333m!

From about 1.5km, Roly started upping the pace, and I tried to go with him, or at least keep him in my sights.

The 3-6 lap split went by in 4.11, again the Garmin showing 1.08km, still feeling comfortable.

By this time, Roly had started passing people, and I followed suit, also managing to drop a girl who had been shadowing me for the first couple of km.

6-9 again went by in 4.13 - not too bad and I still felt good. From about this point, Roly again upped the tempo with 9-12 going by in 4.15 - clearly the increased tempo was just a mirage then!

Even though I was being lapped by the winners I still felt good and strong and was regularly passing others in front.

For the last 2 laps, Roly again upped the pace and started to gap me - just before the start of the final lap I caught and passed a guy who I tried to gee up to come with me - unfortunately he seemed happy at his pace and didn't want to race the last lap.

Eventually I crossed the line with 20.54 on the Garmin and 5.40km in distance, averaging 3.51's. Not too shabby really considering it was on grass.

Overall happy with the effort - would be nice to test myself on a flat 10km sometime to see how close I could get to 40 mins...

Ride there and back for another hard session...

No comments:

Post a Comment