With Tim on baby duty, Roly at the dentist and Mike H opting for the BTC time trial at Centennial Park, I headed off up the beaches solo.
The intention was to ride 70km and then run a solid 7km off the bike....and so that's what I did!
Despite looking out of the window to see looming grey clouds, I had prep'd the TT bike the night before and decided to stick with that choice anyway as I need as much time on that bike as possible before Husky.
Although I ended up getting soaked riding through Collaroy, the ride was fairly uneventful and I turned around about 3/4 of the way to West Head with 35km on the Garmin, despite being very tempted to go all the way, with the time in the back of my mind, and knowing that the run was as important as the ride.
I decided to come back along Forest Way and Wakehurst Parkway which actually isn't that bad really and enabled me to get aero for longer. Apart from being hit by every flipping traffic light coming back along Sydney Road into Manly.
All up just over 70km with the return 35km taking 3 minutes quicker than the outward 35km (1.16 vs 1.13 for 2.30 all up).
After a quick garage/T2 transition, it was off on the run which took me along Queenscliff Road, down to Pittwater, through the lagoon and out to Shelley and back.
The first few km's were a bit of a struggle, and it wasn't until I hit the beach that I started getting down to 4.45's which is my usual benchmark for running off the bike.
Back from Shelley was a struggle too as my average km's started to rise, and it was only after a concerted push over the last km that I managed to get the average down to 4.45 again, eventually finishing at 33.13 for the 7km, an average of 4.44.
So all up, just over 77km for the morning. Happy with that, and the way the bike is feeling. I just need to get that entry into Husky now!
No comments:
Post a Comment