Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Bold and the Beautiful

...named after the daily group that swim from Manly - Shelley and back every morning of the year at 7am.

Today I did something I have been wanting to do since we moved to Queenscliff, swim from Manly to Shelley (and back).

Mike had mentioned it yesterday which got me thinking and so when Roly suggested it for today (unprompted), I jumped at the chance (despite the legs still feeling tired after yesterday).

With the fog still hanging around we headed out through the waves at South Steyne and made our way fairly directly to Shelley, using a couple of moored boats as markers. After initially struggling to get through the surf, once out the back, I found it fairly easy to get into a rhythmn.

We made it to Shelley in just over 17 minutes, turned around and retraced our steps back to Manly. The return was harder than the outward section, due mainly to the current and waves coming around the corner into South Steyne.

All up, just over 33 mins for the return journey. Not sure how far it is, but I suspect it is about 1.2km all up so not that quick really.

Still, some great open water practice, and sans the wetsuits. Both Roly and I agreed that we should aim to add this to our weekly routine as it is invaluable practice in the lead up to Canberra.

By the time we got back to Manly the fog had lifted too!

Great swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment