Monday, October 17, 2011

The bike debut at last!

And so, 6 months after buying it, I eventually got out on the new bike on Saturday morning.

In preparation, I spent most of the previous evening pumping up tires and making sure it was properly oiled.

Met Roly and Tim at QLSC at 5.30am – borrowed one of Tim’s lights as it was still dark, and headed off up Pittwater Road. Rode up to Mona Vale before turning off to Church Point. Tim managed a puncture a few km’s after the turn off which took us about 20 minutes to fix. Mostly due to the fact that none of us are very proficient at puncture repairs!

Continued up, up McCarrs Creek to Terrey Hills and back along Forest Way and the Wakehurst Parkway.

All was going well until we reached Seaforth, at which point it started to absolutely bucket down. Not just rain, more like a monsoon. Made riding particularly difficult as the water felt like it was coming half way up the bike!

Sought shelter in Manly for a few mins before continuing home.

Dumped the bike, donned the trainers and then trotted along to Shelley Beach and back. The legs felt ok surprisingly and I managed 5km at 4.50’s before my Garmin packed in and I ended up walking the rest of the way.

All up, the 51km ride took just under 2 hours with the run taking about 24 mins.

As for the bike, well it felt great. Fast and light and very different to the Cannondale, although I was a bit wobbly when trying to get aero, but I guess this will come with time. At the moment, it just doesn’t feel natural having my arms so close together and I worry about my vision ahead when in that position. But I’m sure it will come. Fir the first hit out, the speed alone was a big plus point!

All up, a very satisfactory morning and I was back home by 8.30am!

No comments:

Post a Comment