Friday, October 21, 2011

Return to Track

With all the pre, post, more pre and more post marathon training, Track had fallen off the radar so far this season. Until last night. Even then, I wasn't sure whether I would make it as Tim pulled the plug last minute citing a migraine...

Despite the headache, Tim managed to ride to the oval with me where he continued home and I peeled off for the session.

Caught up with tall Dave before the session to recount our stories of Melbourne. He did 3.19, 3 weeks after a 3.12 in Sydney....impressive stuff.

After the normal fartlek and stride throughs to warm up, the session was to be a tempo 3 x 2km set around the oval with various surges and recoveries thrown in. The surges were to be quicker than 10km pace with the recoveries still at tempo.

I set off conservatively, not really knowing how my legs would stand up to the set, but I soon increased the tempo as the legs felt good, and ended up running most of the set on my own, pushing the surges hard whilst maintaing a good pace through the recoveries. A good, hard set, but one that relied on pushing yourself hard during the recoveries which is always interesting as it easy to just back right off rather than keep some kind of tempo.

After a couple of laps warm down chatting to Andrew, I skipped the abs set and jumped on the bike to ride home, getting back to Queenscliff just after 8pm.

I had forgotten just how good this session is, and what with the ride to and from the oval, it will be ideal brick training for the triathlons ahead.

My legs are sore today though, especially after the ride home.

The plan was to swim today, but meetings will probably take care of that...instead I will ride early tomorrow for 70/80km with a 30 minute run off the bike and aim for a replacement swim on Sunday if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment