Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The third bit...

Finding myself in Perth yet again....and with the legs not too painful after the weekend, I decided to follow Roly's advice and seek out the pool at Challenge Stadium.

Catching a cab from the city, I arrived just before 4pm to be greeted by over 15 x 50m swimming lanes, a mixture of inside and outside. A swimmers dream! Most of them were full of schools too...no wonder the Aussies have such a good swim reputation!

Unfortunately, only the 'outside 10' lanes were open to the public - located out the back of the complex and through a rabbit warren of corridors.

Quickly changing I jumped into the slow lane...basically it was one person to a lane at that point, and headed off with the lane to myself. It was pretty much like that the whole time apart from one annoying breaststroker who appeared about 45 mins in. The plan was just to crank out a long, easy one today - mainly to get the distance under the belt.

With the sun beating down and no shade, it was pretty heavy going for the first km or so, especially on the odd laps as the sun was shining right in my eyes but after that I settled into what felt like a comfortable rhythm. For some reason my goggles fogged up after 500m, clearing again about a km later. Very strange.

1.5km came and went, and it was at this point I decided to go for 3km straight, making it my longest swim ever.

I eventually finished with 3km done in around 1.15. Not quick, but good to get the distance under my belt.

It seems that my swimming certainly agrees with WA after my Carnarvon experience a month or so ago...luckily I will be back in Carnarvon again next week! I may have to pay another visit to the pool I think...

So a full three days of training. 150km on the bike, 50km running and 3km swimming. Almost the full kahoona! I just need to keep it up now...only 7 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment