Friday, January 18, 2013

Stunning B&B

A stunning morning all around. An idyllic way to start the day.

Met up with Tim, Roly and Rich for B&B with Catherine, Chris and Nic plus babies also in attendance. It was Jules' last swim with the group and so there was a guard of honour as she entered the water. She was pretty emotional, which is understandable really - what she has done is pretty amazing. Apparently there are now 4,000 members of the squad! All from nothing less than 2 year ago.

Once she was safely in to the water the hordes headed out through the swell and waves to the point. Despite not looking too bad from the shore, there were actually a fair few big waves rolling into Manly and it was tough work getting out. Luckily others seemed to be struggling as much as me.

Once we were all gathered at the point and after more ceremony we were off. I deliberately started a little closer to Shelly than last week as I was sans wet suit (but also without the rash vest I wore last week).

As expected, the hordes immediately piled past me as we headed to Shelly, although encouragingly I didn't lose contact with the whole field, and even managed to pass one pool soul on the way over.

Whilst choppy, the swim over felt surprisingly good and I was able to get into a nice rhythm from the start - the arms felt fresh and strong and I was managing to keep the elbows nice and high whilst also gliding as much as possible, perfect.

I Eventually made it to Shelly, standing up in 10.46, almost 2 minutes quicker than last week and with a good few people behind me! - maybe it was the rash vest slowing me down last week? Whichever, I certainly felt a lot freeer on the swim over especially in the arms and shoulders.

After a longer than usual break for birthday singing we were on the way back. Again, I felt good on the return leg and managed a steady rhythm to the point, again managing to keep up with a few people. My stroke felt easy and yet strong. So different to the battle I had last week.

Once at the point however things got a little more interesting as the swell started to roll in. I deliberately headed further out to avoid the waves....but failed and was nailed on the way in by a good few waves. Tough.

Eventually I stood up in 14.36 - again much quicker than last week and actually comparable to my wet suit times! I think the current must have been with us on the way back.

Overall a lovely swim, and so refreshing to be in the water.

Point - Shelly: 10.46
Shelly - Manly: 14.36

No comments:

Post a Comment