Although not part of the bigger plan, the Nepean triathlon was always going to be a race I was keen to do again as it was such an enjoyable and friendly hit out last year. And so Tim, Roly, Rich and I headed out early doors to Sydney's west on what was a cool morning. Rich making his triathlon debut.
Arriving and registering in plenty of time we were soon waiting at the swim start for our respective waves. Unlike last year this year's race was wetsuit optional. Not that there was ever going to be any decision to be made - clearly if I am allowed to use a wetsuit I will use it. Also, unlike last year, I was in the wave after the boys - last year they were chasing me - which was lucky considering how things worked out.
Eventually it was time to get underway. Remembering last year's tip to follow the 'black line' joining the buoys, I positioned myself on the furthest side of the start area, hoping that I could again repeat the trick of not having to sight.
Once underway, I was quickly into my stride, even managing to put in some kind of effort to get things moving - very unlike me and more evidence that the swim is becoming a lot more comfortable for me. Not quick, just comfortable.
Despite my best intentions I couldn't make it onto the black line, despite trying my hardest - clearly others in the wave had had the same idea and so it was pretty crowded! Instead I decided to sight off those who were using the black line. Kind of the same thing really, just not actually seeing the black line myself.
All in all the swim was pretty comfortable and I eventually made it onto the black line about 500m in. I was also able to maintain what felt like a good rhythm, even finding myself swimming with others in my wave. Again, a novel experience. I eventually stood up with 21.02 on the Garmin. Initially I was a tad disappointed (my aim being sub 20) but a quick look around at the number of others in my wave who were not only around me but were actually behind me quickly made me realise that it wasn't that bad after all. Compared to last year's effort of 24.13 (albeit wetsuit assisted) it was certainly a lot better. Indeed, I wasn't passed by anyone from the wave behind me either until the run to T1 when one of the quicker guys trotted past.
After a quick jog and change, I was on the bike 2.44 after leaving the water. Again, quicker than last year (3.03), but not as quick as I could be. I need to do more work in transitions.
Onto the bike and quickly into the aero position, I soon started to pick up some of the quicker swimmers (but slower riders) in my AG around the lake. However, that was balanced by a couple of quicker guys who came past me from the wave behind. The first lap of the bike went ok I guess. I was certainly feeling strong, but for some reason I chose not to push the pace, instead happy to hover around the 33/34km/hr mark and feel comfortable. I went through halfway in around 26.30 (30 seconds slower than last year) at which point I decided to push the pace for the second lap. Apart from I didn't really. Again, I'm not really sure why. I mean I could have done. The legs felt strong, I wasn't labouring in anyway, my breathing was fine, I felt very comfortable (having adjusted the seat since Forster), I was well hydrated, nutrionally things were great, and I was still picking people up for fun. However, something inside me kept telling me not to go too hard...a very strange feeling. Perhaps the long course athlete in me was over-ruling the short course athlete?! Perhaps I didn't really have a race plan? Perhaps the sheer amount of bike bling out on the course made me think I wasn't good enough to go harder and that those with better bikes and disc wheels should be quicker than me?!
Whichever it was, I completed the second lap and jumped off the bike with 52.40 on the watch. Slower than last year (51.44) and deservedly so given the fact that I hadn't really pushed things at all. Very strange indeed.
T2 wasn't much better as I found myself running up the wrong bike rack lane and having to go a complete U-turn to find my spot. A basic error. As a result T2 was 1.47, 30 seconds slower than last year. I also suffered having to do up my laces twice. More basic errors.
Having popped a gel coming into T2, I headed out onto the run with 1 x gel and a lot of energy left in the legs. Time to push things I thought. Quickly into what felt like a comfortable pace I looked down to find I was averaging 4.18's. Not bad, hold this for the first lap and you'll be fine. Like last year, the run was to be 2 x flat laps of the lake. I was regularly passing people whilst only being passed myself by a couple of the quicker runners from the wave behind. Having taken the electrolyte capsules on the bike, I didn't feel the need to take on liquid either, all of which meant a fairly comfortable first lap. According to the official results I went through 5km in 20.57, although I doubt I was that quick.
After popping the gel at the 5km mark, I was onto the second lap, again regularly picking up runners, feeling strong, but for some reason unable to really put the hammer down. Like the bike I was feeling strong but couldn't really up the pace. In fact my pace was dropping to 4.20's. Perhaps I was suffering from the fact that I was towards the back of the overall field and therefore couldn't really pace off anyone else?!
On I went and with about 2km to go I passed Rich. He looked strong and had had a good race so far for his first tri.
Belatedly I upped the pace with about 1km to go, crossing the line with 2.01.47 on the clock, a 43.32 run split and feeling fine. No need to catch my breath. No need for any assistance in removing my timing chip. I felt great! Very weird.
Catching up with Tim and Roly afterwards, they had both smoked awesome times, Tim managing a 41.xx 10km split and Roly not far behind for a 1.53/1.54 respectively. Rich also posted a very respectable 2.11 for his first triathlon.
In hindsight, and while I still really enjoyed the race, I probably suffered from the lack of any race plan (again!). In the absence of such a plan, I had basically done a short course race with a long course mentality, i.e. not to push the bike too hard and save something for the end of the run, i.e. how I had run Forster. This is all well and good, but when the run is only 10km, there isn't enough time to pick up the pace!
That, and the farce of T2 didn't help. Oh, and I need elastic laces for shorter races too...
But enough negatives, I still really enjoyed the race. I felt great being aero on the bike and the swim went better than it ever has done. Hell, I ended up beating nearly 400 people out of the water and I was in the top 54%! The nutrition worked really well too with 1 bar and 1 gel on the bike and 1 gel on the run. Feeling strong at the end is always a good sign too...
So onwards and upwards...and back to the long course stuff now.
Swim - 21.02
T1 - 2.44
Bike - 52.40
T2 - 1.47
Run - 43.32
Time: 2.01.47
T1 - 2.44
Bike - 52.40
T2 - 1.47
Run - 43.32
Time: 2.01.47

No comments:
Post a Comment