Friday, October 28, 2011

Thursday night is trash your legs night

Thursday night will definitely be known as flog your legs night from now on.

As per last week, I rode to and from Track with a hard running session sandwiched in the middle. Tim was running home so I went solo again.

After a fartlek and stride through warm up, the session was to be all about maintaining running form with 4 x 5 minute efforts with a 2 minute float recovery in between. The instructions were that the 5 minute efforts were supposed to be at HM pace/85% and comfortable, although I suspect no-one took it that easy…

As per normal, I went off quite hard with the aim of trying to keep each of the 5 minute efforts under 4 min pace, knowing that once I had set the mark during the first interval, I would have to hold on to that pace for the remaining 3 efforts.

As a result, my pacing during the splits went as follows: 3.53, 3.56, 3.54, 3.53. Happy with that, especially the last one when I paced off Lew and big Dave who were both running strong.

After a couple of minutes recovery, the last part of the session involved 4 x 45 second efforts with a 45 second rest between each one - the intention being that each effort was to be at 10km race pace. Given that my 5 min efforts had been at sub 4 min pace, my intention was just to try and hold whatever pace my legs would let me. As a consequence, my splits went as follows: 3.18, 3.19, 3.19, 3.01. Very happy with that, especially the last one (if it’s correct that is).

After a warm down and a quick chat to Andrew, it was back on the bike for the ride home. By now my legs were trashed and so by the time I eventually made it back to Queenscliff I was absolutely shattered. A great brick session though and nice to mix things up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment