Monday, October 24, 2011

Almost enjoyable swim

With a busy day entertaining Catherine’s folks, it wasn’t until late afternoon that I even considered doing anything exercice related. In fact, I wasn’t actually planning on doing anything, but what with the day having been so warm, and with 40 minutes before the start of the RWC final, I decided to chance my luck in the ocean pool for the first time since last year.

Expecting it to be freezing, I made my way down the cliff and leapt in without giving it a moment’s thought…and it was bliss! Not warm, but certainly not cold. Perfect in fact.

I quickly decided on a 500m warm up and off I went. Immediately I felt 100% more comfortable than I have been doing at C&P pool So much more buoyant and strong through the stroke….faster too I suspect. Maybe all the work I have been doing indoors has been helping after all?! Or maybe it was just the saltwater effect...

After the warm up, I decided on 200m intervals, going at 5 minutes. I ended up doing 3 of these, with about 30 seconds break between each one. Not quick, but a damn sight quicker than I have been going in the pool. Good to break things up too rather than just bashing out the distance.

As the sun was setting by now, and only 10 minutes to the start of the game, I finished up with a 100m thrash and a 50m warm down for 1250m all up.

All in all, a perfect time and place to swim. Almost makes it enjoyable…but maybe not quite that good just yet. Still, a lot more enjoyable than C&P pool - and it's free.

Plus it means I don’t have to swim at C&P today.

No comments:

Post a Comment