Felt ok but still not great after the 10km yesterday. I had entered for the Kurnell Triathlon a few weeks ago with the two Tim’s but decided to pull the plug on Saturday arvo principally as the 4am start was just too early and I needed more rest to recover….
I decided instead to run the Striders Equaliser. Not only would this mean that I could get up a couple of hours later, but it was also a good training run with 6 Foot in mind and seeing that I hadn’t really run all week. I had run the course a few times over the past couple of weeks so knew that it would be a tough hit out. Perfect after not running at all since last Sunday.
I rocked up just before 7am and paid the $7 entry. This is a Striders only race and so I was greeted by countless Striders singlets, so many in fact that I stuck out like a sore thumb in my black t shirt! Not to self, I must wear the Striders singlet at Striders races so that I don’t feel like a complete numpty!
Anyhow, that aside, the race started bang on 7am, from outside the John Colet School entrance. The first km or so took us down Wyatt Avenue and into the bush near the sub station where I was on familiar territory. I had made a mental note to take the race easy from the start as I was still recovering and so I knew I would be passed by a lot of runners in the first few kms. The first quarter of the race were also all downhill on the trail and so I knew I would the pace would be fast during this section. I made it to the creek crossing at 3.75km in 17.04, averaging 4.32. Perhaps a little quick with 6 Foot in mind but it was a shorter race after all.
The next few kms were where the hills started and I started passing (well catching up) with a few people on the way up to Acron Oval where there was a welcome drink stop. 2.15 km in 12.42, averaging 5.57 for this stage. Interesting that I was running these hills, and yet I was still only averaging 6 min/km. Maybe I need to work on the run/walk ratio a little more…
After the drinks stop, there are a couple of kms of undulating road running, which come as a lovely relief after the hill to Acron Oval, before the trail ducks back into the bush again. By this time I had settled just off the back of a nice group, who were keeping the pace honest. 8.10 for 1.63km at about 5 min pace which was probably about right for this part of the race.
The trail then ducked back into the bush and weaved up and down for a few kms before descending back to the creek. Again, I managed to keep with a few guys during this phase, although I was also overtaken by a couple of people too. Then again, I knew what the last 3kms had in store! 16.46 for 3.14km at 5.20 min pace for this section.
The last 3km of the course is basically all uphill to the finish and so I deliberately left something in the tank. I also decided to walk/run the steep hills in preparation for what is to come in less than 2 weeks time. By this time I was absolutely dripping wet through… The group I was running with took off and ran the uphill, while I was left to finish at my own pace. I actually picked up a couple of people on the trudge up, but then lost them again at the top when we started running again.
By the top of the hill I had nothing left for the last km and struggled over the line in a touch over 1.15. Knackered but happy to have finished the race. After gulping down some Gatorade and fruit I got in the car and drove home happy that I had managed to finish the race, although slightly disappointed with the finishing time.
Results wise, I ended up coming in 57th out of 119. Not bad really considering I was coming back from illness and am still not 100%!
All up, 14km at 5.22/km pace. Not too shabby really considering the splits I will have to run to finish 6 Foot..
I have now downgraded by 6 Foot target time too. Sub 5 hours and I will be ecstatic, sub 5.15 and I will be delighted and sub 5.30 and I will be happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment