Much like last year, I wasn't expecting a great deal from the JP Morgan corporate thrash around Centennial Park. Put simply, I had basically trashed my legs Sunday through to Tuesday and was still feeling sore for most of Wednesday. Still, a social wander up to Centennial Park with a promise of a post race pizza was enough to get me excited.
For some reason, my time last year had put me in the 'blue' group which seemed to consist of all the keenopants runners of Sydney, so when I made my way to my start 'pen' it was full of fit looking gazelles going through their various warm up paces, stride throughs and doing various stretches.
Once I had got over the fact I felt like a fish out of water, I felt obliged to complete some kind of warm-up to 'fit in' so jogged up and down the first 100m or so and did some limbering up. Still feeling sore, I then decided that maybe this wasn't a good idea and instead decided to settle in about 50m behind the start line and wait for the gun to go.
Once we were given the horn, it took me about 10 seconds to cross the line at which point everyone around me shot off like startled sheep. Recalling this part of the race from last year I was prepared as we all shot up the hill to the top gates together.
Knowing that this was the principal hill on the course (although not the only one), I gunned it as hard as I could before recovering on the long downhill (at which point everyone started coming past me) before another slight uphill section lead to the long descent back into the park. By this time I had passed the 1km mark in 4.02 - not too bad. Still pushing the pace, the next km also flew by in 3.50, although I suspect it was a little short judging by the Garmin.
Between 2km and 3km the course flattened out and I tried to concentrate on holding a pace that, whilst not comfortable, I thought I could maintain for the rest of the race. Between 2 and 3km, my pace continued to average around 4 min/km - again not too bad - but when would the wheels fall off? When would I feel that 14th rep of the HuRTS session yesterday?
Onwards I went, trying to keep my form tall and my breathing within the realms of control, 4km went by with a 3.47 split, again probably a bit short but I was still feeling ok. Only 1600m to hold on now...
At about this point, the annoying small incline at the Randwick Gates came into view. Recalling my thoughts of last year, I tried to focus on passing people while holding my form knowing that there wasn't long left. Despite that, the 4-5km split spat out a disappointing 4.10 - again probably slightly longer than 1km but still not what I needed at that stage.
With only 600m to go and with the finish line basically in sight, I put the final hammer down, tripled my breathing and headed for the grassed finishing line and the best sprint finish I could muster, crossing the line in 22.12 - 10 seconds quicker than last year and the first PB of 2012!
Strangely enough after the initial catching of breath I actually recovered quite quickly - perhaps due to the cooler weather...or maybe I had some petrol left in the tank?
On reflection, maybe, just maybe that 40 minute 10km is achievable after all on a flat course - having said that, holding on for another 4.4km yesterday would have been painful!
All topped off by a couple of ales and a large meat lovers at Arthurs Pizza - perfect!
No comments:
Post a Comment