Thursday, June 14, 2012

Nearly the perfect run in WA

With work taking me to WA for the best part of 3 days, I finally managed to find a gap between the rain that Perth has been copping to head out for a trot. A quick google for 'Perth running' came up with what looked like the perfect 10km circuit looping around the Swan River and along the waterfront. Two laps should do nicely.

The legs were feeling fresh which wasn't surprising given that I hadn't run since Saturday morning and so after some dodgy crossing of various freeways to get to the track, I started off pretty quickly. I didn't really have an aim as such but figured that if the track was as flat as it was supposed to be, I really should be aiming for at least my marathon pace.

So with that in mind I settled in to a 4.30 pace which is far quicker than my marathon pace. Plan A out of the window then.

Quickly readjusting I decided instead to try and hold 4.30 pace for as long as I could. After all this was the first time I had actually had the opportunity to train on a flat track.

Apart from the 2 bridges at either end of the loop the track was basically totally flat and so I was able to quickly settle into what felt like an easy 4.30 rhythm going through 5km in 22.30 and 10km in 45.01.

Between 10-15km it started to get a little harder but still went through 15km in 1.07.34, only losing 3 seconds.

From 15-20km it all got much harder and I had to work a lot harder to keep a good pace up. As a result, the km splits started to go south to around the 4.35 mark. In an attempt to pick up the pace I put my head down with 2.5km to go and tried to lift things....unsuccessfully so with the timing blowing out to 22.53 for the final 5km, bringing me home with 20km all up in 90.30.

Very happy with that being the first tempo session in a long time.

Finished up with a 500m warm down.

A truely spectacular route with some amazing views back to the Perth CBD during lighting up time. A run I will definitely do again.

No comments:

Post a Comment