Monday, November 7, 2011

Sunday morning brick session

Up and out early for a ride/run. With Tim and Roly having already gone yesterday, I was on my lonesome for this one.
The plan was to ride the Church Point route for about 50km and then tag on a 12km run if I had time.

On a lovely morning, the traffic was a lot quieter than normal, which in turn meant that I was able to get aero for a lot of the ride up Pittwater Road. Felt a lot more comfortable as a result. And much quicker as a result. Made it to the turn off in Mona Vale in just over 30 mins, getting to the West Head turn off and 25km in 50 mins, basically averaging 30km/hr despite all the stopping along Pittwater Road.

Chowed down a nana at the bottom of the McCarrs Creek hill before attacking the hill. By this time, my left pedal was making an annoying clicking noise which was driving me nuts, but I continued on to Warringah Road for some more aero time and on to Forest Way. Luckily the traffic noise seemed to blank out the clicking!

Felt strong all the way back along the Wakehurst Parkway, arriving back home with 51km under the belt in just over 1.45. Perfect timing and a lot quicker than previous weeks, probably as I hadn't stopped and had deliberately pushed the flatter sections. That, and the annoying clicking noise was driving me bonkers!

Dumped the bike, put the trainers on and got straight out for the run part of the morning. The plan was to run the Manly 10km route and then add on a couple of km's at the end to make 12 km in total.

I was quickly into a nice pace, averaging 4.50's for the first 4 or 5 km before the pull up to Sydney Road where my pace dropped a bit. Managed to pick it back up coming into Manly before heading out to Shelley to get the km's in. Went through 10km in 48.30. Coming back along the beach front, the temps were starting to climb and I was starting to feel it after being on my legs for over 2 hours. In the end, I actually only needed to add in a loop of the Queenscliff SLSC to make up the 12km, for 58 minutes all up.

After gulping down some water and spending some time cooling off the legs in the sea, I was back home by 9.15, perfect and a really satisfying session.

Spent the afternoon at Balmoral with Catherine's, and even managing time for a splash up and down the beach. Very choppy but good to get some open water time in amongst things. Probably about 750m all up, but hard work in all the chop!

The plan this week is a swim and squash today, Pain and a ride tomorrow, the JP Morgan on Wednesday, a ride on Thursday and a swim on Friday.

With Nepean this Sunday, I want to give my legs time to rest so I will probably take things a little easier this week....

No comments:

Post a Comment