Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dark squash

With the nights drawing in, it was dark by the time I rocked up to squash.

With court 3 the chosen (imposed) venue, I knew it would be a tough game. The lighting and surfaces are poor on court 3 with creaky floorboards and strange bounces. It is interesting that we have never been given court 1 to play on since we joined. Maybe we aren't good enough.

After a long warm up (I was a little stiff after yesterday's run), game 1 was yet another write off. Beaten to 2. Game 2 was better, and I won to 3 to level things up.

Game 3 was a good one as well, as I won to 6 before Ric squared things up at 2-2. Ric then took the 5th game, before we squeezed in a final game enabling me to even things up at 3-3.

Not the greatest games of squash we have ever played but some good rallies non the less. I really need to focus on my serve from the get go though. Too often the serve during the first couple of games is poor and misdirected. I also need to think more during rallies, sometimes the high, slow lob can be a great defensive strategy when you are scrabbling around the front of the court.

Still, a good solid work out and I do enjoy the competitive spirit of a 1 on 1 sporting game. Makes a nice change from all the running and cycling I am doing...

No comments:

Post a Comment