Thursday, April 14, 2011

Swim and footy victory

After what has felt like an eternity, it was back to footy last night for the last game of the season. Given that this was our first season back in Div 1, we were sitting fairly comfortably in 6th place before last nights game, unfortunately knowing that we couldn’t qualify for the top 4 and therefore the semis, but equally proud of our efforts all season having played 11, won and lost 4, with 2 byes and 1 forfeit in our favour before last nights game.
But before all that, I went for a cheeky dip in the pool to keep things ticking along and to take advantage of the free entry to Cook and Phillip. Obviously it was the first time I had been in the water since Sunday and also the first time I had been in an indoor pool for months as most of my training had been in the Queenscliff salt water pool. As a result I felt significantly less buoyant in the water.

Given the time constraints, I only managed to crank out 800m (500 + 300), but strangely felt quite comfortable throughout and concentrated on form and pulling through the shoulders. I didn’t time myself but certainly felt a little quicker than normal…but maybe that was just my perception. I was sore afterwards.

After a quick turnaround I was soon on court ready for kick off against what was the 4th placed team. The team was Rich, Gary, Joe, Gary, Tom and I. I decided to start the game in goal, and in fact spent most of the first half in that position until Gary took my place towards the end of the first half, by which point it was 1-1, Gary having scored to put us 1 up before they equalised.

Half time remained at 1-1 before we eventually pulled away to win 4-1 with further goals from Joe and Rich (x2). Although I played for about 8 minutes of the second half I spent a good portion of the game watching from the sidelines…something we need to fix before next season.

Still, we played well and it was good to finish the season on a high and beat a team above us…all topped off with a cheeky post match sherbert in the St James Hotel....only 4 weeks to go until the winter season kicks off!

No comments:

Post a Comment