Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pool swim

Last night was the first footy game of the season and so Catherine and I headed up to Cook and Phillip an hour early to get in a swim before the game.

The pool was packed as a number of the lanes were closed for squad sessions and so swimming was hard going for the most part. This wasn't helped by a number of backstrokers and pool walkers who seemed to enjoy getting in everyone's way! Nontheless, I wanted to crank out 2 x 400m sets as the tri on Sunday is over this distance. In the end I managed 1km overall. Timing was not great (as per usual - about 10 mins for each 400m), but it felt easy, which I am taking to mean that the ocean pool swimming twice a week is helping. Bouyancy was an issue, and I felt that my legs were working harder than normal to stay horizontal but again that is probably more to do with the pool and the fact that I have become used to salt water swimming.

Catherine was rocketing along behind me for the most part...and had to revert to breast stroke as I was going slower than normal apparently!

For the tri on Sunday, I have decided not to use the wetsuit given that the swim is only 400m. Plus I really haven't spent enough time changing in and out of the suit to wear it with any confidence...

No comments:

Post a Comment