Monday, November 22, 2010

Run - Swim Sunday

Easy 10km trot on Sunday morning with Catherine from home, along Queenscliff Road, down to Oliver Street, through the lagoon, along the beach front to Shelley, then 2 laps of the small uphill section from Shelley to the first road junction, then back along the beach again to the Queenscliff SLSC.

Finished with a dip of the legs in the ocean as it was a hot day. All up about 50/55 mins but wasn’t really keeping tabs on the time as it was so warm.

The excitement, however, came later in the day with the first trialing of the famed wetsuits. This was the first time we had had chance to use them in anger and so at about 6.30pm we (eventually) slithered into them and cautiously (and very self consciously) crept down the cliff to Queenscliff Pool for our first tentative dip. Luckily the pool was virtually empty apart from a few hardy souls and so we could spend a few minutes getting used to the feeling of wearing them to start with.

The first signs were definitely encouraging and we both felt the effects of the buoyancy while swimming, although I suspect that we will both need to take some time to get used to the tightness and general weirdness feeling that the suits give you. Personally, I certainly felt as if I was a lot more buoyant in the water with my body position a lot higher compared to normal. I also didn’t feel like I needed to kick as hard as usual to keep afloat. I just need to work my arms now!

We didn’t do much in the way of swimming, more just getting used to the feeling of them. Probably ended up doing about 600-700m over about 30 mins….

There may be hope for my triathlon career yet….

No comments:

Post a Comment