Tuesday, October 19, 2010

WCB - so near and yet so far......

A definite tale of two halves tonight….in the first half we played through a few concert pieces, Norwegian Wood, Deep Inside the Sacred Temple and then Kingdom Triumphant by Eric Ball…followed by a lovely cup of tea, a couple of chocolate biscuits and then BANG! 9.15, 15 minutes from the end of what would have been a nice rehearsal thank you very much and John decides to whip out Vienna Nights which is the test piece for Adelaide next year…suffice to say it wasn’t a great deal of fun. Very technically difficult, lots of soloist parts, a nightmare of a solo EEb part…as with the second part too…lots of practicing required if I am to even consider playing it half decently. Some weird sitting arrangement too. At first glance it looks harder than Extreme Makeover…and I never got anywhere near that one!

I came away from rehearsal seriously doubting whether I will make the trip to Adelaide next year as this piece is probably a jump too far for me. I think I may be due a break from the Nationals and this might be the one to opt out of. Unfortunately, Simon is also planning on missing this one too…which could lead to a tuba shortage in the ranks. Still there were 4 of us tonight so I can’t complain. And I did enjoy playing Kingdom Triumphant so it wasn't that bad a night – it should sound great at the Town Hall in a few weeks time. I just need to forget about Phillip Wilby for now…Robin did say he was a prat..now I have the evidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment