Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Catch Up

Travelling to Perth, getting sick, travelling back from Perth, still being sick, lots of rain, sick daughter + Ironman training = no time for blogging...

Wednesday - B&B Double. With wet suit. A struggle the whole way for some reason. Still, good to do it I suppose.

Point - Shelly (1): 10.30
Shelly - Manly (1): 14.54
Point - Shelly (2): 9.48
Shelly - Manly (2): 14.11

I think that means it took me a while to warm up. Pretty standard times though.

Thursday - In Perth so headed out mid afternoon for a trot around the Swan River. Windy and dry conditions meant my throat was parched from about 1km in. Wasn't too sure how long to run for or at what pace, deciding at 7.5km to turn around and aim for 15km. Went through the first 7.5km in 35.30 with the return 7.5km done in 35.59. All up 15km in 1.11.30, averaging 4.45's. Not too bad considering I was getting sick...

Friday - Rest day with a hawking sore throat compounded by a trip to Kalgoorlie into the bargain.

Saturday - Another rest day as the rest of the body caught up with the sore throat!

Sunday - Up and out at 5am for what was supposed to be our longest brick to date - was aiming for 150/25 - it started raining 20 mins in and steadily got worse, such that we pulled the pin after 1 x lap and with 50km done. We were all soaking wet, heading home with our tails between our legs...

Monday - Headed out early for a long run to make up for Saturday's failed attempt. The aim was to run for 3 x hours but with the remnants of the head cold still rattling around I wasn't hopeful I would be able to finish. Whilst it was dry, the humidity was through the roof, all of which meant the pace was rather sedentary from the outset. The plan was to run 2 x laps of the longer Sydney Road loop, throwing in a loop of Warringah Mall each time as well for good measure. The plan was also to trial PPT on the run...

Lap 1 was pretty uneventful, just over 16km completed in 1.30 at 5.30/km. Lap 2 was much harder as the head cold kicked in. I reckon I must have lost about 5km of liquid through my nose alone! Not a lot else to say really apart from it was a struggle.

Nutritionally things seem to go ok though and the PPT certainly did it's job. Topped up with 2 x gels at 2 hours and 2.30 for good measure.

I ended up with just over 31km on the Garmin in 2.53 - I'll definitely take that on the day. Overall average of 5.32. Totally knackered by the end though.

Will take today and maybe even tomorrow off to try and kick this cold before heading long (again) on the weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment