Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Swimming in paradise

I never thought I would use the word swimming and paradise in the same sentence...but I have now.

I picked up Roly on the way for our second double lapper. We could see as soon as we reached the beachfront that conditions were pretty much perfect. There was no swell, no waves, no chop, nothing. The ocean was like a millpond. Literally.

I decided to use the wettie, even though the water temperatures probably didn't warrant it - Roly didn't. In hindsight it was probably a good thing though as the water might have been warm, but the wind certainly wasn't!

In near perfect conditions we made our way to the point and then on to Shelly, spotting a rather large catfish on the way out and countless schools of fish - the visibility was amazing, better than anything I have ever swam in before.

After a brief rest at Shelly we returned to Manly for our second lap, seeing even more wildlife on the way back...it really was amazing.

For the second lap, Roly decided to go early as he was cold and I followed him - despite this we were still beaten by half the squad...there are some quick swimmers out there.

All up, a truely amazing swim to start the day....I lost count of the number of rays I saw coming back into Manly - and not one single wave to report!

I reckon I could start every day this way if I was retired/didn't have children/didn't have a job/insert other commitments...

Point - Shelly (1): 10.45
Shelley - Manly (1): 14.08
Point - Shelly (2): 9.19 (quick!)
Shelly - Manly (2): 14.03

No comments:

Post a Comment