Friday, December 9, 2011

Last minute psychological swim boost

After last Sunday's swim, I was keen for another hit out in the wet suit before race.

Having watched a couple of You Tube clips on how to put on a wet suit, I knew that I needed to ensure that the suit was tight around the armpits and groin area, so I spent a bit of time making sure all was well in those crucial areas. It still felt tight, but at least I knew it was on properly.

Once fitted up, I waddled down to the pool, jumped in and got straight into it, quickly feeling a lot more comfortable than I had last week. The breathing seemed a lot easier and I felt more bouyant too. Swimming in a straight line was still an issue, but at least things felt better. The shoulders felt a little tight to start with but again that soon eased once I got into my stroke.

Decided to go for very easy km, touching the wall in just over 21 minutes. Compare that to the same distance at Nepean where I swam 3 minutes slower and the effect of the suit is obvious.

Maybe standing up in 40 mins on Sunday is possible after all! We'll see.

Speaking of Sunday, anything under 6 hours and I will be happy. Sub 5.45 and I will be very happy. Sub 5.30 and I will be ecstatic! My plan will be to take the bike easy on the first lap and then build from there, hopefully leaving enough in the tank to bring it home in the run. And eat regularly.

That's the idea anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment