To be fair things didn’t start very well with a particularly fitful sleep due to the bat phone going off a couple of times during the night. Despite this, we picked up Roly and Tim and made our way to the start at Milsons Point for 7am. Despite it being early there were already a lot of people at the start line warming up and the like. Already it was 23 degrees - not a good sign.
After queuing for the obligatory pre-race deposit, then managing to lose Tim and Roly, then find them again, we were off, Tim and I lining up just behind the 3.15 pacers (one of which was Andrew).
The much talked about race plan was to run 4.45/km for the first half and see how we felt. Ideally, with the aim to hold up the same pace for the back half (Mistake 1). Tim was aiming for a sub 3.30 and I was aiming for a PB – sub 3.26.
Anyway, the gun went and we were off, quickly into a solid pace for the loop back onto the freeway and then onto the bridge. Having run the first few kms a few times now, we knew that the pull onto the bridge would be hard work, and it was, but all seemed good as we crested the top of the bridge and got into our stride. It was at this point that one of the 3.30 pacers came past, clearly wanting to put something in the tank as he was well ahead of where he should be at this stage. Interesting that once we passed him on the descent into the corkscrew, we never saw him again…
On to the Cahill and up to the Mrs Mac’s chair loop and still all was good. Through 8km in 38 mins, spot on for where we wanted to be.
On to Oxford Street and we were both still traveling well…as we were when we started the ridiculous loops that start along Anzac Parade. Back and forth we went, in and out for what seemed ages. Then into Centennial Park and around the seemingly endless figure of 8 section that sees you passing each other about 10 times. Out and back we went and then back again. In the midst of this, I went through half way in just over 1.41. A little slower than I had hoped but still on track for a good time.
By this time, Tim had slipped a little behind and I was now running on my own just behind a small pack of runners and holding a good pace.
As we left the park, we were about 2 hours in and the heat was beginning to get to me. I decided to take my first gel at this point, chowing it down with some water at the aid station just outside Centennial Park.
From here the course again loops towards Randwick Race course before turning back around and then back again along Anzac Parade, before turning for the final time before the return leg into the city.
By this time, I was really starting to struggle with the heat and the legs were becoming very sore and heavy. My km splits were now down to 5/km and it was becoming a real struggle to hold those times. The climb back up Anzac Parade to the top of Oxford Street felt like it went on forever with the heat, the reflection off the tarmac and the general lack of shade really getting to me.
Eventually, we turned to start the descent into the city, passing the 30km marker in the process. Only 12 km to go. In to Hyde Park and the wheels continued to fall off. It was at this point that the 3.30 pacer went cruising past me along with an entourage of about 10 people, all looking sprightly and full of energy. Whereas I was really starting to struggle. From Hyde Park the route snaked down to CQ following the same route as the ITU 10km. So basically downhill all the way. But still, I was not in a good place and couldn’t pick up the pace. There was nothing in the legs. By this point I was walking all aid stations, throwing down at least 3 x cups of drink at each stop.
And on to CQ where I was in a world of pain. I basically had nothing left in the legs, and yet still had 10km to go. Being so close to the finishing line was not nice either – so close and yet so far. It was about this point that I had my first walk, only for 100m or so but enough to know that I was starting to fold. From then on, it was really just a matter of damage limitation with my pace dropping to a miserable average of 6/km and my legs hardly moving as I shuffled apologetically along through the Rocks and down onto Hickson Road. Time for another gel – with no noticeable affect…
From this point any inclines became mountains with the drink stops in turn becoming oasis’s. I was walking all of the drinks stops with the sections in between a mixture of shuffling and walking.
Hickson Road has always been a particularly grueling part of any race but this time it was brutal. Flat, boring and with no shade, it was the place of nightmares! I was clearly losing the mental battle.
Out onto the Pyrmont flyover and I passed a runner who was in all sorts of trouble. You know when things are bad when they are being told to “stay with me” by the ambo’s. He looked pretty gone - poor guy.
I walked the majority of the flyover section through Pyrmont before managing to break out into an apologetic run for the downhill approach back to the Slip Inn. Then more walking, drinking, shuffling, tutting…and so it went on. Apart from a high 5 with Roly as he entered the Pyrmont hell. Each drinks station was spent taking one cup of water, one of powerade followed by another of water.
The funny thing was that I wasn’t getting passed by many people, whilst seemingly appearing to do quite a lot of leap-frogging around runners who were in similar amounts of pain. One girl and guy in particular who appeared to be in a similar state to me. They would stop, I would pass and then vice versa when I resorted to walking myself.
The Hickson Road return seemed to go on for ages on the way back into town with every bit of shade a god send, in fact I spent most of them walking and trying to savour the lower temperatures.
After what seemed like forever, we eventually made it under the bridge and out onto Circular Quay. Cue another walk! By now, I was totally spent and fearing having to walk along the finish chute. Luckily, I gave myself a large dose of HTFU and shuffled off again, past the MCA and around the final corner for the finishing stretch to the line. Again, this seemed to go on forever, especially when the 400m to go point arrived. 400m left! How would I cope?!
Eventually I rounded the small bend and saw the finish line in sight, crossing the line in a whole world of hurt. My vision was blurry and my fingers were tingling…all signs of severe dehydration. I was also caked in salt, again another sign that all wasn’t well. Apparently it was 31 degrees by this point. I crawled over to where I saw Catherine and immediately sought out whatever shade I could find. Which happened to be next to a portaloo. Not the most fragrant of areas but nonetheless somewhere out of the shade.
For the next 30 mins or so I wasn’t in a good place. All I wanted to do was sit down and rest. Tim crossed the line about 10 mins after me, followed by Roly at just under the 4 hour mark. Tim had actually managed a PB, but we were all way off our target times and suffering.
After downing whatever liquid I could find, we hobbled back to CQ and caught the quick ferry back to Manly before walking back home, eventually getting back to the flat a little after 1pm. By then, a cool change had blown through which made things a little more reasonable…if only it had happened 4 hours previously!
On reflection, this wasn’t a great race. In fact it was a pretty damn poor race. After preparing better than I ever had done for a marathon, it was also a very disappointing race! So what have I learnt from the experience…well a few things.
Namely:
- Take account of the conditions when setting a target time – if it is warm, reduce your target time. If this means missing a PB, then so be it. If I had recognised this early enough and gone off at 5/km rather than 4.45/km I reckon I could have sneaked in under 3.30 and been happy with it.
- Don’t go off too quickly.
- Do not wear black when racing in the heat.
- Race in colder climates!
So…now…the question is. Melbourne is 3 weeks away – should I back up and try and make yesterday’s wrongs right?! Is 3 weeks enough time between races?
I have to say that I am very tempted…
Ten Kilometre Splits
10KM 00:47:17
20KM 00:48:31
30KM 00:51:05
40KM 01:02:08
Finish 00:12:46
Half Way Splits
First Half 01:41:03
Second Half 02:00:47
TIME: 3.41.50
No comments:
Post a Comment