Sunday, February 20, 2011

Long, hot, humid and hilly!

Three weeks out from the big race, the plan was to run the longest training run today.
I was originally going to head up to Hornsby for the Striders Hurricance, but, following a discussion with Duncan at Track on Thursday, I decided instead to join up with a few of his mates who were going to do the Equaliser course x 2.5 as it was a lot closer.

I had run parts of the Equaliser over the past couple of months, and also during Oxfam, and so I recognised various sections. Basically, the route drops down from Wyatt Avenue to the stream before climbing up into suburbia and then darting back into the bush along the Oxfam route. After a lot of ups and downs, the course finishes with a long pull back up the same starting hill back to the start. And the plan was to do all this 2 and a half times!

I had packed up everything the night before and so I thought I was prepared for the day...only to find, once I arrived at the start, that I had forgotten my camelbak! Should I go back for it, or continue without it? Luckily I had brought a couple of bottles of hydrolite plus a gatorade and so, given that we were planning on running loops of the same course, I decided to just refuel at the start line each time around...risky given that it was about 30 degrees and 90% humidity early on. I also had only a fitful sleep the night before...all in all it sounded like a disaster waiting to happen!

Anyway, off we went, 7 of us in total, down the 3km to the stream...

Lap 1 went well and  I managed to run the whole circuit, including the long pull up to Belrose. 1.17 for 13.5km.

Lap 2 again started well (minus 2 runners with a third leaving us half way around) with two of the faster guys taking off about 8kms in. Duncan and I then ran together for the rest of the lap. Well, we run/walked up the big hill to the car.

At this point, I had finished all my drink. The plan was to basically descend to the bottom of the hill (about 3km) and then return to the car park (all uphill!). Duncan was feeling strong and so he decided to do a complete extra lap. I decided to head down the hill and see how I felt. So the two of us, plus a guy called Mike descended for the third time. By this time it was starting to feel very hot and we were all feeling it. Mike turned around after about 2km and I decided to push on to 3km as that would give me 32km all up...

That 3km seemed to take for ages, but eventually we reached the bottom and I wished Duncan well and turned around to start the 3km uphill slog to the start. By this time I was totally ruined, parched and not in a good place. I had decided earlier on to walk this section as it would be good practice for the day when I would no doubt have to walk some of the hills. As it turned out, I managed to run about half of the return leg, walking the rest, but boy was I glad to see the car at the end!

I didn't have any water and so almost immediately, got in the car and drove up to the reserve where I downed about 2 litres of water...which didn't touch the sides!
I then made drove home and drank more water and hydrolite...and then walked into Freshie for breaky...and drank again and again...in fact I haven't stopped drinking all day!
Overall, a great run out with good company. I am happy to have topped the 30km mark, and happier to have included some walking as that will be an important factor come race day.

As an added bonus, and seeing as it was a stinking hot day and so later on in the day, I even found time for a cheeky 550m down at Queenscliff pool with mum and dad. A lovely way to rest the sore leg muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment