Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wollongong Olympic Triathlon

I have been meaning to blog about this race for a couple of weeks...but our new little arrival the day after the race has meant that getting any spare time on the computer is virtually impossible!

To set the scene, this was to be the last tri of the season. Being an Olympic distance and coming 3 weeks after Husky, I hadn't done a lot of training and so didn't really know what to expect. Still, I had paid for it and the boys were up for it...

So to rewind back four weeks and to the ridiculously early start...3.30am to be precise when Roly and Tim turned up at the flat to pack up the bikes and our gear...

After a quick journey, we were parked and ready opposite the start line by 5.15am...and before transition had even opened. In fact we were there before rego opened and well before it got light. In fact we were so early, I think we were the first people there!

After waiting for rego to open...and then for transition to open, we were all racked and ready by 6am...an hour before the start!

After the race briefing we wandered down to the beach and waited around for what seemed like ages...turns out after the race that the bike riders that were supposed to carry the TO's hadn't turned up and that we were effectively racing without insurance. But we weren't told any of this.

Eventually, and at about 7.20, the gun went off for the pro racers. We were to be the next wave. For the first time, Roly, Tim and I were all in the same wave as they grouped all the 30-39 age group racers together. And then we were off.

For the first time ever that I can remember, the start was a beach start which meant a short run into Wollongong Harbour. The swim was then to be a 2 lap rectangular course out through the breakwater before returning to the beach, running about 50m along the sand and then back into the water for lap 2.

As is customary, I found myself towards the back of the pack right from the start. In fact, I distinctly recall taking a breather after a couple of minutes, looking behind me and seeing no-one. I was actually coming last! And there were a fair few people in front of me without a wet suit!

After this realisation, and again as per usual, I got my head down and focussed on the first buoy, concentrating on my rhythm which seemed to work as I quickly picked up a couple of guys, around the next buoy and around the turn for the beach I picked up some more...now we were talking!

Back at the beach and after the 50m run, I was back in the water for lap 2...but by this time, the wave behind me...and the wave behind that were starting to come past me, and over me. Which made for an interesting lap 2 with people constantly swimming over the top of me.

After what seemed like aged, I finally turned for the beach and headed back to the shore for the final time. Again, as is customary for my swimming recently, I was now into what felt like a nice rhythm and was managing to hold onto the legs of some of those in the wave behind me and who had swum over the top of me...

I eventually made it out of the water, standing up in just under 31 mins. Not too bad really. Slower than the Sydney ITU, but with the run and the beach start, not too bad considering.

The run to T1 was up a small hill and across the road. Amazingly, as I was entering T1, Roly was only just exiting and Tim was still at his bike getting changed. Maybe the swim had gone well after all! Either that or their swim had been particularly poor...

After a quick change, I was on to the bike course which consisted of 4 laps of a 9km course, making a 36km bike course in total. Which is 4km less than the usual 40km bike course required for an Olympic Tri. No idea why.

Once on the bike I quickly managed to get into a good rhythm, pushing the downhill and flat sections whilst still working the uphills. On reflection, the bike course was probably the best I have ever felt on the TT bike in any event so far. I felt comfortable being aero and was able to push the pace easily.

What also helped was that I kept passing Tim and Roly due to the lapped course, which in turn spurred me to keep pushing the pace.

I finally finished the bike course in just over an hour - meaning that I had averaged around 35/36 km/hr - again a good sign.

After a quick T2, I was out onto the run, still behind Tim and Roly but with 2 rabbits to chase over what should have been my strongest leg. The run was a two lap course with a short sharp hill at the beginning of each lap followed by a largely flat section to the turnaround point. Frustratingly, the run course involved a fair bit of grass running as well - something that I have never felt comfortable with.

That being said, the run started well and I was quickly into my stride, averaging low 4.20's for the first few km's. As with the bike, I was able to keep a track on both Tim and Roly as they also made their way around the course in front of me. I seemed to be catching Tim, but I quickly worked out that Roly was too far ahead and was actually pulling away from me.

Onto the second lap, and I managed to catch Tim with about 3km to go. From here I attempted to lift the pace to the finish, but my legs were having none of it. Whether I had pushed too hard on the bike I wasn't sure, but what I did know was that I wasn't going to go any faster. By this time my averages had slipped to 4.35/4.40's but there was nothing I could do about it.

Down the final hill and towards what I thought was the finish, only to find out that we actually had to run past the finishing area, around another lap of the field and then back into the finish line. Very frustrating seeing as though I could smell the finish line.

Eventually I managed to cross the line, stopping the watch with a 46.11 run split. A disappointing split and confirming what I had suspected for a while in that my running has suffered over the past few months.

Still I was pleased with the overall time of 2.22.08 which put me in 150th position out of 434 in total. It was actually a PB for the Olympic distance (my only other Olympic distance being the Sydney ITU race which I managed in 2.4x), although with the bike leg only measuring 36km it wasn't really a true PB.

Interestingly, when I analysed my relative position throughout the three disciplines, my bike was actually my strongest leg peaking at 86/434 whereas my run was 117/434. Something to consider...maybe I had unknowingly sacrificed my running for the bike leg?

Back to the race and Tim came in about 30 seconds behind me with Roly having smoked another PB with a 2.17.xx time including a 43 minute 10km run. He really is on fire and his running has gone from his weakest leg to his strongest.

Overall a great race, especially the bike leg, and one that I would love to do again.

No comments:

Post a Comment