With the mid wife appointment dragging on as Catherine needed to be hooked up to some machine to check the baby was ok (it was), I was in two minds whether or not to go to Track. In the end, I decided that the legs were feeling ok and so I jumped in the car, arriving just before 6.30.
On a particularly muggy evening, and after the customary 2 x lap fartlek and stride through warm ups, the main session was split into long and short course sets. After some internal wrangling, I decided to go for the long course session, not really sure whether an Olympic triathlon really constitutes long or short course!
Having made the decision to go long, the set was to be 3 x repeats of the hill outside the oval followed by 4 x laps outside the oval, alternating between 1 easy and 1 hard, all to be multiplied by 2. There weren't a lot doing the long course, probably as the majority of people were backing up from Husky and so I spent a lot of time running on my own, not quick enough to catch the front guys, but quicker than the second group.
I started off quickly, managing to keep Lew in sight for the first few hill reps, and settling in behind the first group for the outside laps.
Felt comfortable for the first set, starting the second lot of hill reps still feeling strong. Managed to hold on to Lew who was overtaking me on the intervals and letting me past on the recoveries until tall Dave came past as we started the outside laps.
From then on I managed to hold on to him for the first couple of laps before he started to gap me again on the 3rd lap, pulling away during the 4th lap.
Timing wise, I tried to concentrate on pushing the harder intervals whilst still recovering at a relatively quick pace. Probably averaging 4.10/4.15's on the intervals and 5.15's on the recoveries.
Finished up with just over 12km on the clock, but some good hard intervals to show for it.
With the heat I was literally dripping by the end of it and so after a couple of warm down laps, I jumped straight in the car and came home. Whilst the legs started off feeling good, by the end I had nothing left in the tank.
In other news, and after some forensic investigation it turns out that I only actually beat 2, maybe 3 of my age group in the swim on Sunday. Out of 190. That's how slow I am...
No comments:
Post a Comment