Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Backing up in the pool

With another early mark from work, I found myself home by 5pm wondering what kind of exercise to do…

  • Should I run even though I have Pain tomorrow, Track on Thursday and the Striders 10km on Saturday morning?
  • Should I cycle even though I will be riding to and from work this week and it was 5pm and therefore rush hour…
  • Should I swim? Surely not, I swam yesterday!

So I reluctantly swam. Again.

I decided that after yesterday’s long session I needed to mix things up a little and add in some speed. So, after a 100m warm up I decided on 4 x 300m intervals going off 9 minutes with the aim of trying to keep each interval to between 7 and 7.30 giving at least a 1.30 recovery.

The pool was murky after all the rain and so it was tough going. Plus the angle of the sun meant that navigation was challenging too.

Reps went 7.05/7.10/7.15/7.25 and so I achieved my goal, even though it was still very slow.

I then finished off with a 100m thrash at 2.10.

All up, an enjoyable session for 1500m. I am also starting to agree with the philosophy that the more swimming you do, the faster you become…still doesn’t make it any easier though!

No comments:

Post a Comment